Kyushoin Temple (久昌院), Kenninji

Kyushoin Temple is one of the sub-temples of Kenninji Temple and is located in the precincts of Kenninji Temple. It is the family temple of the Okudaira clan, founded in 1608 by Nobumasa Okudaira. He was the first lord of the Kano Han. It is said that Kyushoin was named after Nobumasa’s Buddhist name.

This temple is usually not open to the public except some special opening events.

Keninji Official WEB site

Nobumasa Okudaira played an active role in the Battle of Nagashino in 1575, when the allied forces of Nobunaga Oda and Ieyasu Tokugawa defeated Katsuyori Takeda’s army. Nagashino Castle, an important base for the Tokugawa family, was besieged by the Takeda forces. Nobumasa had defended the castle as a general until the Oda/Tokugawa allied forces arrived at the battlefield. He had contributed greatly to his army’s victory. For this achievement, he was given one of the letters of Oda Nobunaga’s name.

Nobumasa was also given an important position in the Tokugawa family. He married Ieyasu’s eldest daughter, Princess Kame. He also participated in the Battle of Sekigahara. And shortly thereafter Ieyasu appointed him as the first governor of Kyoto. When he died in 1615 at the age of 61, he was buried at Kyushoin Temple. His burial place is not open to the public.

Temple’s treasures

The temple’s principal image is a statue of Yakushi Nyorai from the Muromachi period. This image was Kamehime’s Buddhist prayer offering.

The temple also houses “Nagashino Kassen Zu” painted by Ukita Ikkei during the Edo period. In this painting, the famous Torii Sunemon tries to escape from Nagashino Castle. He was trying to ask Ieyasu for help to save Nagashino Castle, which was in a desperate situation. The artist, Ukita Ikkei, was a leading Yamato-e painter in the late Edo period. He also claimed to be a seventh-generation descendant of Ukita Hideie. Ukita Hideie was one of the Five Great Elders of the Toyotomi Government.

There is a pond garden to the south of the hojo. You can enjoy the garden with autumn leaves in late November.

The shoin “Takamatsuken” is located on the west side of the Hojo. And it has a tea ceremony room “Enshu Bessho no Seki” next to it to the north. Okudaira family used this place visiting the graves of the lords of the for generations throughout Edo period.

Nearby spots from Kyushoin Temple

This temple is on the grounds of Kenninji Temple. It is a short walk from the main Kenninji building.

Some other sub-temples are nearby. Such as the Shoden Eigen-in Temple.

Related articles:

  1. […] 15. They are Ryosoku-in Temple, Shoden Eigen-in Temple, Reigen-in Temple, Rokudo-chinnoji Temple, Kyushoin Temple, and […]