Matsuo-taisha Shrine is named after a local deity that was enshrined on a rock formation near the summit of Mt. Matsuo since prehistoric times. Later, the Hata clan came from Silla (ancient Korea) in the 5th century and seems to have settled in the area around Matsuo Taisha. In 701, a shrine was built at the present location, and descendants of the Hata clan continued to serve as priests until the beginning of the Meiji period (1868-1912). In the Heian period (794-1185), Emperor Kanmu designated Matsuo-taisha and Kamo-jinja as shrines for the protection of the imperial castle.
The main shrine of Matsuo-taisha was rebuilt in 1397 during the Muromachi period and is an important cultural property. However, it is located in a secluded area surrounded by a wall, so it cannot be seen in its entirety.
Matsuo Taisha Shrine has a sake museum attached. Tours are free.