Tentokuin Temple is one of the sub-temple of Tofukuji Temple. The temple was founded by monk Mumu Issei, the 30th abbot of Tofukuji Temple, during the Shohei Era (1346-1370) of the Northern and Southern Dynasties. At that time, the temple was one of the five important sub-temples of Tofukuji Temple and boasted of its prosperity.
The temple fell into disrepair over the years, but was rebuilt. And in 1614, Elder Bun’ei Seikan became its abbot.
Seikan was highly valued by Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Hideyori as a learned priest of Gozan. At the request of Toyotomi Hideyori, he compiled an inscription for the bell of Hokoji Temple. However, the inscription on the temple bell provoked the anger of Tokugawa Ieyasu, leading to the Battle of Osaka. The Tentokuin temple was finally torn down.
The present hall was later rebuilt in 1789.
Tentokuin’s garden is famous for its bellflowers in summer and autumn leaves in fall. The temple is open to the public specially for these times of year.
Nearby spots from Tentokuin Temple
Main buildings of Tofukuji Temple is within a few minutes walk.
The nearest sub-temple is Fundain Temple, famous for Sesshu’s garden.