Sokusho-in was built in 1387 as a memorial to Ujihisa Shimazu of the Satsuma clan.
It was burnt down in 1569, but was rebuilt by Iehisa Shimazu in 1613. Since then, the temple has a close relationship with the Satsuma clan. The present temple gate was built when the temple was rebuilt.
Sokushu-in, a sub-temple of Tofukuji Temple, was built in 1387 by Ujihisa Shimazu of the Satsuma clan.
In the late Heian period, Lord Tadamichi Fujiwara, a member of the Konoe family, built the East Palace of the Imperial Palace on this site. The garden is the remains of the East Palace. It is now designated as a place of scenic beauty by the city of Kyoto and is famous for its beautiful autumn leaves. The garden is usually closed to the public, but is open to the public during the fall foliage season.
Climbing up a small hill at the back of the temple, there is a stone monument that mourns the Satsuma clan’s soldiers who died in the Boshin War at the end of the Edo period. The tombstone with the names of the soldiers was written by famous Saigo Takamori.
Tofukuji Temple and its sub-temples, such as Bishamondo and Komyo-in, are within easy access from Sokushu-in. During special openings in spring and fall, Tofukuji Temple and many of its sub-temples of Tofukuji Temple open their gardens and other cultural treasures to the public. You will probably need more than half a day for the Tofukuji area alone.