History of Bishamondo in Yamashina
Bishamondo monzeki, in Yamashina, is a temple of the Tendai sect of Buddhism. It dates back to 703 when the Emperor Monmu requested the construction. When it was initially established, it lay north of the Kyoto Imperial Palace. It bore the name “Izumo-ji Temple.” After war and burning down, the temple was rebuilt in its current location, Yamashina, in 1665. Later, when Prince Koben, the son of Emperor Gosei, entered the temple, it became a “monzeki” temple. Since then, it has remained as one of the Gokashitsu monzeki of the Tendai sect of Buddhism in Kyoto.
The main deity is Bishamonten. The temple’s historic buildings and cultural assets, such as the precious main shrine and Karamon gate, still retain the atmosphere of 17th and 18th century Japanese architecture. The beautiful scenery of the temple grounds, rich in nature and famous for its cherry blossoms in spring and autumn leaves, is also a highlight.
There are not many temples or historic sites in the Yamashina area.You can reach Daigoji Temple on foot from Daigo Station, a few stops south on the Tozai Subway Line.
Model courses to visit Bishamondo
Bishamondo is one of Kyoto Gokashitsu Monzeki temples. Gokashitsu Monzeki temples are prestigious temples among Tendai Sect temples.