Sanjusangendo is a temple of the Tendai sect located in Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto. Its official name is Rengeoin Hondo (蓮華王院本堂). It is not an independent temple, but the nearby Myohoin Temple administer it. Taira no Kiyomori built this long hall in 1164. It was later destroyed by fire, but was restored in 1266.
The name Sanjusangendo is due to the 33 (sanjusan) spaces (gen) between the pillars. The total length of the hall is 120 meters.
There are 1001 statues of the Kannon enshrined in the hall. Among them, 124 are from the Heian period, the time of the temple’s construction. Photography is not allowed, so the image is from the temple’s website.
The more than 1,000 statues are specutaclar. A visit is highly recommended.
Nearby spots around Sanjusangendo
Kyoto National Museum is just across the street.
Myohoin Temple, the owner of Sanjusangendo, is not open for the public in most of the time.
The Shoseien Garden is located in the middle of the bustling district close to the Kyoto Station.